Windmill Island Gardens Water Main Replacement and Non-motorized Pathway Extension / Reconstruction
- Reconstruction of the existing water main and improvements to the non-motorized trail system.
- Directional drilling of approximately 2500 feet of HDPE water main, including crossing under the canal along the south side of the island.
- The water main supplies the park’s buildings, irrigation system, and the historic Dutch windmill DeZwaan with domestic water and fire service.
- Widening of the road along the entry causeway to provide a safe walking/biking connection between the downtown area and the island park.
- Reconfiguration of the road at the park entry.
- Reconstruction of existing pathway around the island and the paved apron around DeZwaan.
- Construction of a new “entry node” seating area along the pathway at the park entrance.
- Constructed in the offseason as much as possible to limit negative impacts during events.